The General English language courses to be offered at Ventspils University of Applied Sciences (VUAS) Summer School cover beginning, elementary, pre-intermediate, intermediate and upper-intermediate levels of speaking, listening, reading and writing in English, including grammar and vocabulary skills. These classes will allow students to develop the four skills in English Language in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) so that they can successfully communicate in the target language.
New English File Intermediate (Oxford University Press)
Students will be allocated to classes on the basis of their performance in placement tests that will be given by the course coordinators. The tests comprise reading, vocabulary and grammar components and each test takes 40 minutes to complete.
Student Progress Assessment:
Assessment activities involve exams that are designated to evaluate whether a student’s progress meets the learning objectives for that particular course. Students will be assessed by the course instructors via a mid-term (40%) and a final (60%) exam.
Upon completing the course, as appropriate to their ages and in accordance with their needs and interests, students are expected to be able to accomplish the following receptive and productive skills:
· Reading: to be able to read and understand language and descriptions of topics from a variety of texts.
· Writing: to be able to write describing people, places, feelings and experiences and to write about familiar topics.
· Listening: to be able to understand familiar topics and be able to understand speech on a variety of subjects such as work, school, leisure and the main points when listening to current affairs.
· Speaking: to be able to talk about familiar topics and to give explanations and reasons for opinions, past actions and future plans.
· Grammar: to be able understand and apply the body of rules surrounding English grammar in everyday contexts, including the use of nouns, adjectives, verbs, prepositions, tenses, sentence structure and phrases.
· Vocabulary: develop vocabulary connected with topics such as leisure, work and employment, entertainment, travel, home and money.
- Skolotājs: Bayrak Murat